[pct-l] Advice to a beginner about crossing Sierras

Jen Sun succubus05 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:06:31 CDT 2011

Hey everyone.  My friends and I are eager to section hike from Walker Pass to Echo Lake, California, starting in a week.  Reading about all the crazy snow conditions is making us hesitant about this plan.  We have ice axes and kahtoola microspikes, but little to no snow hiking experience.  In your wise and all-knowing opinion, is it doable for us to hike through the Sierra's this year?  Or would it just be too dangerous to risk?  Would you recommend pushing the trip south and hiking through the desert, instead?  Thanks all!  Happy hiking.