[pct-l] Bag/Quilt Warmth

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 21:24:16 CDT 2011

Ah yes, the stink.  It does accumulate in the bag as does the body oil, but
I couldn't stand sleeping in liners.  Tried it twice in my life, most
recently after Ashland last year, and just had to send it home.  I use my
bag like a quilt, and have used my own Jardine quilts for years.  I'm
spoiled now and don't like the constriction of a bag or liner.

My bags have always lost loft, but I've always used a stuff sack, part of my
ocean kayak background.  I just want to know that nothing ever leaks into my
bag on the several days of cold, drizzly weather in WA.  But I pay the price
of lost loft.

As for temps, we were snowed on in the Tehachapis, the section you're
thinking of using the lighter weight bag in.  We lived on snow for the
better part of 5 weeks last year in the High Sierra, but the coldest night
temps were easily in the deserts.  The deserts in April and May can be
really cold.  Lake Morena had frost and ice, and a good snow fall in the San
Felipe Hills, and these areas have no elevation.  Keep the warm bag through
Sonora or Tahoe and then check the long range forecast.

Shroomer