[pct-l] Question for thru-hikers: How many are using music to get thru the snow?

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 20:12:32 CDT 2011

I don't bring piped music with me.  I do, however, get songs stuck in my head and they usually supply me with a rhythm as I hike.  Sometimes it goes the other way around and I'll get into a rhythm--screaming downhill, for example--and that'll spark a song which then takes up residence in my head and reinforces the rhythm I set for that part of the hike.  Sometimes it backfires on me.  One morning last month I woke up with "I See the Light" from "Tangled" in my head.  With the exception of about an hour or so crossing snow that morning during which I had "The Anvil of Crom" from "Conan the Barbarian" in my head and an hour or so in early evening during which I had Brian Adams' "It Ain't a Party" in my head, I had "I See the Light" running through it over and over and over ALL DAY LONG!  It's a good thing I like that song!
I also carry my harmonica.  I play it while my food's cooking and/or re-hydrating.  And, yes, I played "I See the Light" while waiting for my food to cook at Hyatt Lake.

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR