[pct-l] Bag/Quilt Warmth

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Jul 19 09:56:00 CDT 2011

*“I think perhaps you like the accumulation of "human smell" inside your bag
because you believe that it keeps the wild bears away. . . . . . . . and,
you save the weight of the mothballs that I carry.”   *MendoRider

Good morning, MendoRider,

**

Guilty as charged, but it’s not because I like human smell:  I’m just doing
my part to provide a 100%, all-natural, environmentally-friendly bear
deterrent alternative in lieu of a chemical slam-dunk like mothballs.

I have never used mothballs – nor shall I – and I’ve also never seen any
technical evidence demonstrating that they do more than provide the user
with confidence – indeed like a charm.  What I do know is:  1) You USE
mothballs and have not been bothered by wild bears, while, 2) I DO NOT use
mothballs and have not been bothered by bears.  From that, my guess is the
deterring factor is human scent rather than mothballs.

Among habituated park bears I use an approved ‘can so I don’t much care if
they are not deterred by human smell, but I don’t believe mothballs would be
effective against them either.  I have trouble imagining a park bear
thinking, “I’m really hungry, and there in camp is a 15-pound sack of the
richest and sweetest, most Calorie-dense food imaginable, but I’m so upset
about that dozen mothballs that have to leave the area.  I guess I’ll just
go eat some grass.”

There’s one other slim possibility:  Sometimes when people ask me how they
can protect their camp from bears I kid them by saying, “Use peanut butter –
just smear it on someone else’s tent.”  Similarly, it may only be necessary
to use mothballs to slightly deter the bear; hoping to fend him off to some
adjacent camper’s food, but considering a bear’s appetite I doubt that would
work.

Finally, having been raised in an era then people used them a lot, I don’t
use mothballs because I really dislike the smell.  In spite of that, if I
were on the trail and came upon a pizza surrounded by 1,000 pounds of moth
balls, I would still grab the pizza and leave.

Similarly, I don’t use odor-proof Ziplocs (OP-Sacks).  I have some but
haven’t really tested them for the same reason as I don’t use
mothballs.  Besides,
I don’t cache food.  As a hiker I resupply from towns and keep the grub in
my control.  My suspicion is they aren’t as effective as they advertise.  If
they were that good against bears – who reportedly have a sense of smell
magnitudes better than the best dog – all of the OP-Sack production would
probably be sucked-up by smugglers using them to fool drug-sniffing dogs at
the border.

Enjoy your hike this season,

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye