[pct-l] PCT Thru-Hike Southbound

-Mountain Goat- themtgoat at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 02:19:33 CDT 2011

Hello Tavin;

you asked a lot of questions, and you will get a number of different answers,
so Ill throw my 2 cents in as well...I completed the PCT in 2005.

It can snow any month of the Year in the Sierra, but as far as bad snows,
October may start to get dicy. But its early enough in the season, that
it probably will melt off.  However, in November your Asking for
trouble, in the Sierra, avoid it if you can...

the resupply points depend on your strategy, and if you, like me mailed yourself
packages at every resupply point, or if you want to buy as you go, or even
some hybrid version of the two.

I did a buy as you go plan, and this was my resupply strategy
(Start at Boarder/Campo)
Lagnuna
Warner Springs
Cazabon (I recomend Idlewild in retrospect)
Big Bear
Wildwood
Agua Dulca
Mojavy
Kennedy Meadows
Echo Lake
Soda Springs/Pooh's Corner
Sierra City
Belden
Old Station
Castle (near Burney Falls)-this is an unusual resupply point.
Castela
Seiad Valley
Ashland
Creator Lake
Elk Lake Resort
Ollaie Lake Resort (is now closed)
Cascade Locks
Whites Pass/cracker Barrel
Snowqualalime  (sorry for the spelling )
Steven's Pass (actually package was in Skykomish)
Steheiken

PLEASE VERIFY these locations, such as Yogi's handbook,
some of them may be closed since I went...

Best of luck, even putting this list together, brings back fond memories.
I got to go, I am remembering the trail, and my fondness of it.
-Mountain Goat-

Hello Hikers,
I've been seriously debating/ researching thru hiking the pct starting
around Sept. 1 2011 southbound. I've completed several ultramarathons, some
of which include one day pushes around st.helens, hood, and a two day trip
on the wonderland trail (rainier). On the pct, like the other hikes Ive done
I'd like to complete it ultralight and (fairly) fast 3-4 months. I realize
that the pct is nothing compared to what Ive done, and that I have less than
optimal preperation time. My question for the experienced masses, is this a
difficult and daring plan, or just plain stupid? My two main concerns at
this point are 1) weather and trail conditions in the fall months,
especially in the sierras with the oncoming of snow and cold weather. The
other obviously, 2) my resupply strategy and what resupply points are
crucial. Any information on these concerns/ questions would be invaluable to
me. Thank you.
Happy Trails
tavinc253 at gmail.com