[pct-l] Bear ideas

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Thu Jul 14 12:28:47 CDT 2011

Shroomer:

When I lived in Alaska I carried a canister of bear spray easily
available in a holster on my pack shoulder strap. We would see bears
even on the shortest day hikes. The bear spray can be deployed faster
than a shotgun (I know because I had to be able to prove I could hit a
moving target of a grizzly in the chest on a yearly basis as part of my
job). I think the bears might ignore the sound of the airhorn if they
were really agressive. Have a great time hiking in Alaska--if you have
time, check out the Resurrection Trail on the Kenai--it runs between
Cooper Landing and Hope.

--Fireweed