[pct-l] PCT thru timing for 2012

Erik Turnberg erik.turnberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 12:14:57 CDT 2011

Terrapin Flyer and I met Humingbird last season, twice actually.  She
hiked past us leaving Echo Lake, then we leap frogged her after she
stopped for the night and she passed us again the next day.  She was a
very nice person, but to put things straight as far as what she was
doing to hike the trail in three months here's what I know from
conversation.  She finished in about three months, check her postholer
journal for exact start and finish.  She had a sub 12lb pack,
everything is spelled out precisely on the journal gear section.
She's an experienced ultramarathon runner, so she's used to and knows
how to trail run 100+ miles.  She averaged 36 mile days early on and
then pushed much higher.  At points she was throwing in 60's and ran
from Stehekin to Canada in one 30 hour push.  She eschewed much of the
social scene, spent almost no time in towns, and did not shower along
the hike.  She was trying to keep to 2000 calories a day while on
trail and supplementing during town stops.  She is an elite athlete,
with some amazing accomplishments that she ought to be proud of, but I
would say that 99% of the population should not even think about
trying to emulate them.

Granite