[pct-l] Campsites and Snow Pack

Halfmile list at lon.net
Fri Jan 21 22:03:27 CST 2011

Hi Moccasin,
I will look again at my notation on that part of the maps as I don't
mean to make the San Felipe hills sound that bad. I really enjoy that
part of the trail, but it can get unpleasant up in the San Felipe
hills if a cold wet storm blows through and it is difficult to find
camping spots sometimes there, so I marked a bunch of little spots
some of which are very small and not really camping spots. I probably
went a bit overboard, but I figured too much info was better than not
enough.

Your comments about a having a wider frame of reference is important
when considering maps. Maybe it's just my personal preference, but I
think many people share it. I have tried to strike a compromise
between a wider frame and portability, I think successfully for the
most part.

To answer part of your other question, here are some Southern
California areas of the trail where I know people have had difficulty
navigating:

- A surprising number get lost in the first 20 miles, although it's
not really that difficult
- You might have about 20 miles of snow in the San Jacintos starting
about mile 170, depending on the year
- In 2007 the hiker in front of me spent all day lost after taking a
wrong turn around Whitewater Creek
- You might have snow around Baden Powell
- Some years the trail is difficult to find S of Tehachapi because of
all the illegal ATV, motorcycle tracks
- Obviously snow potential from N of Kennedy Meadows to Sonora Pass

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net