[pct-l] Campsites and Snow Pack

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Jan 21 21:21:24 CST 2011

Ok, Brandon opened this up and the subject is right up our alley...

I will only address the query about campsites and snow pack with regard to
thru hiking the PCT in the Sierra, which was one of the reasons why we went
up there last May and June to document where the snow was, how bad the
creeks really were, what you needed to do to get over the Passes safely when
buried in snow, and how to camp in those conditions.

Yes, the Snow Guide to the PCT is still a work in progress...

Anyway, as Jeff just said, look for sources of water on your topo and you'll
likely find level enough ground to pitch. However, there is a less stressful
way to assure you of a good night's sleep with ample water and a level
campsite anywhere in the snow, even if you are on a peak or hillside.

Through the Sierra on a heavy-winter year you may find the snow level to be
in the vicinity of 10,000 feet. Most thrus choose to camp just below
snowline at the nearest creek or lake, make the climb over the next Pass in
the morning while the snow is still firm for boot walking, and jet down the
backside fast enough over snow to reach dirt before post-holing begins after
about 1 or 2 in the afternoon (maybe sooner depending on the weather and
ambient temps.).

The "however" above comes in when you find yourself still slogging your
exhausting way through the snow at the end of the day. Where do you camp?
When all is snow all around you, there usually is at least a large granite
field somewhere nearby on which to crash for the night (albeit a really hard
night's sleep!) Ah, but there is still better! If you happen to be carrying
a down air mattress like the Exped models (very light, warm, and durable),
you can camp anywhere on the snow where you can smash down a level spot for
your shelter. Simple! With this ability in your plans, you won't have to
keep on pushing through the post-holing snow while exhausted and already low
on food to reach camp. It is also a very likely that flowing water from
melting snow will be all around you, as well, so you won't have to go far
from your snow campsite to get water!

So, as far as campsites and snow pack go in the early Sierra, it easy,
really, just learn how and plan for it!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education