[pct-l] Bear Cans

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Jan 13 23:53:58 CST 2011

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:54:36 -0800
> From: <albert at survivalcrafters.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bear Cans
> To: "'Scott Williams'" <baidarker at gmail.com>, "'CHUCK CHELIN'"
> <steeleye at wildblue.net>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>

> Good timing. I'm down to the final days of deciding between the Circuit
> and
> the Catalyst and was just going to check on the bear-can fits. The ad on
> the
> ULA site for the Catalyst says that it's "bear canister friendly" and it
> doesn't say that on the Circuit (which I realize doesn't mean much because
> it's just and ad) but I was glad to see your post. Can you post a link to
> steeleye's site and tell me which canister it is that fits horizontally in
> the Circuit?
>
> Also, any pro/con opinions you have about these packs would be
> appreciated.
>>From all the research I've done it seems to come down to them being equal
> quality backpacks with the Catalyst having a little more weight with a lot
> more room. Reviews say some people tend to fill up the Catalyst with stuff
> they don't need just because they have that space available to fill.
> That's
> why I'm 97% decided on the Circuit but still lingering on that 3% of me
> saying "Just get the biggest one and don't use the extra space if you
> don't
> need it.", but I don't want to carry the extra weight of the pack itself
> just to have room available I may not need. Yeah, I'm a little stressed
> over
> this decision. (sigh)
>
> Thanks,
> Albert

I have the Circuit and a BV500 fits in upright no problem, though my
ensolite goes lashed onto the outside. Likewise it's my understanding that
there's only a 400cu-in difference btwn the Circuit and Catalyst - 4200 vs
4600... and that extra space is in the top compartment, which generally I've
found to be a PITA, in that any real weight up there tends to flop the pack
on its side when one tries to stand it up, vs. one large pocket where all
the weight by definition is at the bottom and hence there's no top weight
"problem". My 2cents.
TheDuck