[pct-l] the 'quitting my job' concept.

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 21:24:10 CST 2011

in 2009 i told my boss i wanted to thru-hike in 2010, and he thought i was crazy
but thought it was a cool idea.
so april 2010 comes around i leave, and got into some financial trouble on the
trail and couldn't finish.  came back to work mid august, and immediately
starting saving for 2011 season.

... of course my heart still loves the trail.  i loved every day out there.  so
i finally told my boss i want 2011 off too.  he was a LOT less receptive . . .
saying they may as well hire someone else who will be on full time etc.  but our
job is hard to train people.  it's a small and specialized industry.

tonight he and i had a little get together socially,  and he told me that they
all had a talk about it (him and VP), and decided not only to hold my job for me
again in 2011 so i could hike;  but they are going to wait until i am back to
redivide the districts, so i can become a manager when they do !

... boy did i feel loved.  really put my mind at ease.

i think being clear and open about it made a huge difference.  had i given my 2
weeks notice mid march i would have burned my bridge ...  now,  they are letting
my keep my company truck,  and my benefits etc.  sure made me feel good inside.
and he said "you're the highest producer we have in the state,  you've earned
it"

i wanted to thank the people on here who urged me to 'go ahead and tell them'  i
think it may have  significantly impacted the course of my future.
~Paul