[pct-l] The Difficulty with Section Hiking is finding a shuttle or a second car

Dale Combs comebackwalking at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 20:10:07 CST 2011

My experience section hiking is that having a second car or someone to shuttle you back to your car is a big issue. Without a second car, your mileage gets cut in half as you do an out and back trip. On the AT you can pay someone about $100 and they will meet you at the endpoint and take you to the start so you can hike to your car. I wish the same type of thing existed for the PCT.
I think the PCT would be better for section hiking if there were some way to coordinate transportation among section hikers or if there was a list of shuttle drivers in different areas like the AT.
If someone is willing to help me out south of Walker Pass in exchange for a shuttle between Yosemite and Oregon border please contact me.
Normally when I try to pitch someone on a PCT backpacking trip that involves either driving separately or hiking separately I get met with silence.

If you have helpful suggestions please contact me.

Comfy