[pct-l] UL Tents

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 01:41:21 CST 2011

Hey Kevin,

Yeah, huge advocate of hammocks myself. I have been using them for a few
years now. Of course, the weight of a tree-strap to wrap around a 60-foot
Redwood tree is more than a MSR tent - giggle.

I have had the Warrbonnet Blackbird and made the switch to a GrizzBridge
Hammock and if I were to use anything on the PCT it would probably be the WB
Traveller and Bug net, or, I would try to talk Brandon from WB into making a
CF Blackbird to try to bring the weight down.

I did a video of that setup a while back.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwoodOutdoors

That said, I have been working with a couple of folks for custom Cuben Fiber
hammocks that are also "ground worthy" for those times when you've just got
to GtG with your hammock.

If you are on hammockforums.net I am RedwoodGuy over there.

For me it all was about two things:

(1) Versatility of setup. The vast majority (heck all) of the PCT is setup
for tents. In previous inquires I have found less than 10 people have done
the PCT with a hammock, and none of them have thus-far shared viable details
with their experience (where can/cannot hang).

(2) Weight. In the end, with a top quilt AND under quilt AND suspension
gear, I have just not been able to find a sub-4-pound hammock setup. I am at
61.6 ounces for my tent setup. Yeah, I can get a 20-ounce hammock/net, but
it's the requirement of two quilts that kill you on the weight scale for the
winter areas. Cold Butt Syndrome (cbs) is never a pleasant thing and there
is just not a light weight method for those sub-freezing conditions. I tried
and tried and tried every setup combination out there and have simply not
been able to get a sub-4 pound sleeping setup for a winter condition in the
hammock world.

Here is my present setup:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As-hvbUBJ_X_dHJXU3ZDb2VlOElUczlWS3JaUmNtNGc&hl=en&authkey=CLCE2LAO

As for "comfort of a hammock"... at 37 (just turned) I find I can sleep just
as comfortably (if not better some times) in a tent with my neoair than I
can in/with a hammock. So, while I am no old-guy yet, this whole comfort
thing just isn't a legit 'selling point' for me with hammocks.

If I did not live where I live, I would totally be a tarp/bivy guy. Without
a doubt. If I lived back in the desert (Mojave) where I grew up, I'd never
in a million years have to buy the HMG, TT, SMD, etc tents.

Thanks for the thoughts Kevin - I am totally with you on what you've said!

John