[pct-l] UL Tents

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 01:21:45 CST 2011

Hi John,

Thanks for your thorough review of the current offerings in lightweight
shelters. It's valuable information on the merits and shortcomings of the
current lightweight backpacking shelter offerings.

It seems to me that your major complaint has to do with the floor of your
shelters leaking. Might I suggest a simple and elegant solution? Stop
sleeping on the wet ground. Sleep in a hammock! Not only will it eliminate
the issue of a river running through your campsite, it's vastly more
comfortable. Given your locale, finding two trees should not be an issue
either. As far as weight goes, a hammock shelter can compete with silnylon
ground based equivalents. If you bring Cuben fiber into the equation, it
might add a couple ounces. I would argue that those ounces are worth the
increase in comfort! I know most thru hikers get laser focused on reducing
weight as much as possible, but you need to consider hte value of improved
rest. Think about where hammocks are commonly found, the tropics. Basically
it's the Pacific Northwest's amount of rainfall, except warmer. The figured
long ago that it was better to sleep off the ground. Even Western culture
has decided that sleeping off the ground is preferable. The difference is,
we use a rigid structure to keep us elevated as opposed to suspended between
supports.

I plan to hammock the PCT this year. I will be utilizing a system that
allows for sleeping on the ground when necessary, mostly for socal, by using
a ThermaRest NeoAir inflatable pad. There may be occasions where I want to
sleep above treeline as well, so that flexibility is important to me. If you
are certain trees will always be available, then a combination of top quit
and under quilt can compete with the traditional tent, pad, and sleeping bag
in regards to total shelter weight.

Have you ever used a tarp as your shelter against inclement weather? I made
the switch about 10 years ago, and will never go back to a tent. Even when I
choose, or need, to sleep on the ground, I prefer it. It does require
developing some skill at choosing a site and how to pitch your shelter, but
we all learn many skills that allow us to exist in wilderness comfortably.
Like those, using a tarp, instead of a tent, will become natural.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Yes, I'm a tarp evangelist :)  I have converted
most of the people that backpack with me. Most of those converts also sleep
in a hammock now. I will admit that a hammock is not for everyone, but I
would also argue they aren't using the right hammock correctly, but that's
another discussion ;)  HYOH and all that hehe

If anyone has questions about tarps or hammocks, I'm always agreeable to
talk gear and backpacking!

We now return to a discussion of tents. ;)

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:36 PM, John Abela <pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com