[pct-l] UL Tents

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 00:18:58 CST 2011

Chris,

I have and have used a Contrail Tarp Tent, A Six Moons Design Lunar and a
Mountain Laural Designs Spinnaker Tarp w/ their ultralight bivy as a
combination.

A couple of observations:

1.  I was surprised how rarely I actually used any shelter on the PCT or any
trail absent mosquitos or actual rain; cowboy camping really is a practical
alternative.;

2.  Six Moons Designs offers a heavier ( 3 oz.- for a total of 27 oz.)
bathtub floor if you want and it is substantially heavier than the silnylon
on the Tarp Tents or the standard floor for circumsatnces described above.
The SMD is, in my opinion, especially after observing them in the heavy
winds and freezing sleet and rain last spring, better designed in terms of
shedding wind and overall stability-also the height is in the central peak
so easier to move around in and a good vestibule for cooking and gear;

3. MLD wins hands down for weight,  11 oz. total for the combination absent
stakes.  The Contrail came in at 26.  Weights are after seam sealing.

4.  the big problem is condensation with a single wall tent.  This isn't a
problem with a tarp bivy set up, but they don't handle mosquitos without
your confining yourself in them...I like coffee in the morning.

5.  In really cold weather (think Washington in the fall) a double wall tent
is nice because condensation increases with colder outside temps.  Tents are
nice in that they increase the temp rating of your bag by about 10 degrees,
but the bivey serves the same purpose.