[pct-l] recommendations for very small accessible sections for visiting foreigners

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 11:37:39 CST 2011

Good point Paul, and in spite of the absolute beauty of the High Sierra,
when a thru hiker typically hikes that section, it is so early that it's
pretty tough going given the snows and swollen stream crossings.  On the
other hand, to come all the way from Australia, and not see some of the most
beautiful parts of the PCT seems a shame.  I think I'd go with Diane's
suggestion of WA.  Goat Rocks is just stunning, as are all the Northern
Cascades.  We were all just blown away by the beauty, and only got to see it
every now and then because of the clouds and drizzle.  But when it came
through, wow!

When the group I was hiking with got to WA, you're right, we were really
making tracks to not get stuck with an early winter, and ran through Goat
Rocks and past Rainier, but by the time we got to the Northern Cascades we
realized we were doing fine time wise, and slowed down a bit, stopping some
times as early as 3 or 4 pm.  I can remember saying, "this is great, it's
almost like camping!"  We all felt like we were on a "backpack trip", and
not thru hiking.  It was wonderful.  We all vowed to do more "camping" next
summer, and specifically come back to WA a little earlier so as to see more
of it.

The point being, that if you have time season wise, it may be worthwhile to
slow down a bit toward the end and actually do some easier days with the
parents.  They will get to experience some of the most beautiful mountains
in America, the larches will be turning, and the huckleberries will be
brilliant red, and so will you.  I'd vote for somewhere in WA.

Shroomer