[pct-l] Inquiry to Participate in 2011 PCT Thru-hiking Research

Rachel Liechty wood0652 at umn.edu
Mon Feb 28 18:50:39 CST 2011

Dear Fellow Thru-hikers,

I am writing to all potential PCT thru-hikers for the 2011 season, inviting
you to join me in a graduate thesis study that will explore the experiences
of long distance hiking along the PCT.

While I will also be thru-hiking the PCT this year with my husband and
daughter, I will attempt to explore the experiences of thru-hiking for my
graduate thesis project. I am pursuing my M.S. in Natural Resources Science
and Management, with an emphasis in recreation resource management,
nature-based travel, and environmental education at the University of
Minnesota. The intentions of the research and anticipated findings may
provide new understanding for the way natural resource managers and academic
researchers understand the activity as part of a trend among nature-based
travel and culture; plan for the distribution of resources for these
purposes; and evaluation of policy efforts when reflecting on the social
impacts of thru-hiking. This study intends to make further contributions
towards research, and moreover, to the long distance hiking community at
large.

Upon consideration, I would ask you to complete an online questionnaire that
will take approximately 25 minutes.* It is critical to note that any
information that I obtain about you as a participant in this study will be
held completely confidential and anonymous*.

If you are interested in learning more about the research and would like to
participate, please reply to me at this email address (wood0652 at umn.edu),
and I can send you the study number, background, consent forms, and
additional procedural information.

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration to participate. If you have
any questions or concerns, I encourage you to contact me. I look forward to
hearing from you all, or, to meet you out on the trail.

Best Regards,

Rachel Liechty