[pct-l] Ankles and Foot Placement

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 19:11:18 CST 2011

Fossil hominid footprints dating back 3.6 million years show that our very early
ancestors were bipedal and had already evolved feet very similar to ours. They
had well-developed arches which would favor not just walking, but also jogging
and running. ( Read "Born to Run"). Their tracks  seem to show that Afarensis
had a slightly toe-out placement as opposed to a straight-ahead or toe-in
placement. A toe-out placement would result in greater stability of the foot.
This (bare) foot would be less likely to roll over, resulting in a sprained or
broken ankle. Natural Selection would give individuals with a more stable foot
placement a selective advantage. They would be more likely to survive to
reproduce and pass on their genes.

In our civilized world sprained or broken ankles have little or no influence
relating to an individuals chances of survival and ability to reproduce. Most of
us naturally place our feet a little toe-out.  These people are less likely to
fall due to ankle roll over. Hikers who use hiking poles are also less likely to
fall.

MendoRider