[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 13:37:48 CST 2011

@Shroomer, I just had a mental image of Crocs and MicroSpikes :) bahhahaha

Crystal, if you prefer boots, wear boots. Someone recently posted a link to
a study (I think it was Yoshi) that determined extra weight on your feet had
little impact on hiking. It seems counter-intuitive, but that's what the
study found. That being said, I've switched to runners and have been
training in them.

If the boots you have give you blisters, then don't use them on the PCT.
Unfortunately, Steel-Eye is right, a "heavy" boot will require significant
break in. I don't know that you couldn't break them in in time though. If
you got them very very soon, you could wear them 100% of the time and try to
get out hiking as much as possible. They won't be fully broken in, but you
will at least know if they are comfortable.

In general, the lighter weight shoes, ie runners or cheaper boots, require
little or no break in. I've hiked in a lot of inexpensive Hi-Tec boots
bought on sale at Big-5. I get a few hundred miles from a pair easilly, but
I would think 500-600 might be the best you could hope for. They have Vibram
soles, so they work pretty well for me.

I also agree you shouldn't buy a bunch now. You don't know how your feet are
going to change. You might change you mind about what you want to wear also.
There are enough places along the way to get off trail and buy new shoes.
Just plan to do that.

See ya on the trial. 54 days to go!