[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:59:26 CST 2011

Hi Crystal,

I wouldn't buy more than one pair of anything until you're sure they are
what you want to hike in.  And three years of trying with the goretex is too
long already.  Many newer boots and trail runners don't really break in the
way older leather footwear used to.  There's just too much plastic and nylon
in them and that doesn't change shape very much with wearing.  That being
said, those types of shoes should fit perfectly from the start.  If you get
blisters, they are far from that.  Most good shoe stores and REI, guarantee
their shoes and the fit.  I've returned several pair over the years because
after the first serious hike, they weren't comfortable.  Check out a lot of
different shoes, now before hitting trail.

As for the debate over boots vs trail runners, I'm in the trail runner camp
for sure.  I loved my old vibrum soled boots, but they always gave me a
blister or two.  Last summer I hiked 2,600 miles in trail runners with not
one blister, and the lightweight shoes dried quickly after the stream
crossings.  I love them, but then there's Amoeba, a 65 year old woman who
began the AT in boots several years ago and had to limp off trail in tennis
shoes.  She tried again in tennis shoes and still had problems and limped
off trail in Crocs.  They felt so good that she continued hiking and has now
thru hiked the AT twice in Crocs, and did the deserts last spring on the
PCT, (where I met her) in them as well.  I don't know that they'd handle the
snow, or even if she even has any desire to hike in snow with them, but the
point is that all kinds of foot wear is usable.  I saw barefoot prints in
the sierra ahead of us last year.

Whatever you decide upon, make sure they fit well right from the start. If
you go with real leather boots, hiking in them wet used to break them in
faster for us years ago.  We had to evac a young woman from the Wonderland
Trail 2 years ago who had ill fitting boots and didn't break them in
properly first.  Her huge blisters got infected and one foot swelled with
infection, and the rangers had to get her out.  Antibiotics fixed it, but
don't start the trail if you know you'll get blisters.

Good Luck,

Shroomer