[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Feb 25 16:59:17 CST 2011

Crystal,

The Boot vs. Trailrunner debate comes up often with each side extolling the
virtues of their design.

I will tell you how my boots have treated me for the last 47 years and how
many pair I have gone through.

I used one pair to hike the PCT, re-soling them near Cascade Locks, Or..
I used one pair to hike half the CDT and didn't need to re-sole because I
got injured and had to quit. That pair I continued to use for the next 20
years with one re-sole job.
Our Wilderness School has chosen several boot companies over the past 29
years to test their products (Vasque, Asolo, Limmer) and all have performed
great, in the desert and on snow for thousands of miles. We like the Limmer
Boot best.

As far as how many you should expect to go through...one boot, two soles.

Your challenge will be to find one that fits. Big issue! The Limmer owner,
Karl Limmer, personally fits your foot and decides, based on his three
generations of family boot-building experience, which size and model will
best fit your feet via tracings and measurements that you will send him. We
tested his boot last Spring in the snowy Sierra during thru hiker season
(May, June, and July) when the area was a mess with snow, water, high
creeks, and mud--some dry trail--for two months. Never a sprained ankle
(though my foot tried to do it a few times!), nor a blister (even though the
three of us, with different sized feet and one who never broke in his boots
prior to the trip), cold or hot feet, or feet that stayed wet after changing
socks after wading through creeks then walking on snow the rest of the day!

These have been our experiences. Now you have to decide. You can see the
boots in action on the trail in May at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po7gWQzrrGw

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director