[pct-l] Bread/Tortillas/Cheese

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 10:57:43 CST 2011

Lisa, I don't plan to send those types of perishables in my boxes. I will be
buying some items in the stores. I'm trying to make my menu not dependent on
anything I need though. I'm shipping chili that I plan to eat with tortilla
chips, but I can eat it with crackers, bread, or nothing. The only cheese
I'm certain I'm using on the trail are hard cheeses, ie Parmesan or Romano
or ?. Like Shroomer suggested though, you can find the small cheese packs
that do not require refrigeration. Try one of the Cost Plus type stores for
the cheeses and meats in that type of packaging. They aren't exactly cheap,
but it could give you an idea of what to look for online in bulk. Actually,
I will take a look and let you know what I find. I'm planning to include
some salami type meats in my resupplies and would like some cheese as well.

Shroomer, they also make cheddar style cheeses in those same packages as the
string cheeses. I've used them hiking. They hold up about the same as the
string cheese. I think Lisa's concern is about the long term storage, not
just on the trail. The boxes I'm sending to myself in WA will have been
packed up at home in March. That will make that stuff 6 months old!

I've had that same concern. For the foods I'm really worried about spoiling,
I may decide not to include them and instead mail them to myself from the
trail. Maybe buy all of OR and WA in Ashland or something. I haven't settled
on those details yet.