[pct-l] Bread/Tortillas/Cheese

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:42:39 CST 2011

Yah, 6 months is a long time.  I had packed but not closed my boxes, and had
a list of what should be added at the last minute, and the string cheese was
one of those things.  My wife was wonderful about getting them off to me and
the cheeses were only a month or so old.  They must be packed in
preservatives as they did fine.

One food I was surprised did not do fine in boxes for several months was
Salome that had been cut and repackaged, and meat sticks from Costco which
had also been repackaged.  Both got moldy to the point of inedibility toward
the end of the trip, and I had to ask Katie to just take them out of the
boxes.  At first I just wiped it off, but as time passed it really got into
them, and they were yucky.  I was finding enough junk at the stores on
trail, that it was easy to get stuff that approximated what I wasn't getting
in my boxes.  I didn't ask Katie to buy them new, as I frankly liked being
able to do a little shopping, even in truck stops.

One thing I would do differently if I were starting again is to not send so
much food to myself.  My tastes changed over the long haul, and I liked
supplementing with what I found in the little junk food markets.  I like
healthy food most of the time, whole grain etc when home, but on trail, it
was as simple as, fats, carbs, lots of salt, and sweet.  I'm not a cookies
or candy guy off trail, never had a taste for that stuff, always preferring
a second helping of meat, tofu, vegies and potatoes, but on trail, candy and
cookies were wonderful.  It took a while to revert back away from that stuff
when I finished.  Just my two cents on a different topic.

I'll have to try the cheddar string cheeses.  I know I saw them, but can't
remember whether I tried them or not.  That's why I carry a big camera.  I
forget everything without a picture to remind me.  Ah, the price of wisdom
is age.  So I've got the age, where the hell is the wisdom!

Shroomer