[pct-l] Alcohol Fuel resupply on the trail

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 10:21:32 CST 2011

The town information is updated at least once per year.  The most current
update was January 2011.

Towns that have supermarkets and auto resupply stores generally always have
HEET.  It's the smaller resorts and communities which may or may not have
HEET when you get there.  Sure, we use HEET as stove fuel, but the rest of
the world uses HEET in gas tanks during the winter.  A C-store or resort may
have 10 bottles on hand in July and think that's plenty - nobody is buying
it for their cars.  Hikers start rolling through, and within a span of two
weeks all the HEET gets sold.  I'll get an email from someone at the
beginning of that wave stating that the store in question had plenty of
HEET.  Two weeks later, I'll get an email from another hiker stating that
the store doesn't carry HEET.  Two weeks after that someone emails stating
there is plenty of HEET.

Moral of the story is:  When planning for your HEET resupply, take into
consideration the size of the store/resort PLUS where you are within the
overall group of thru-hikers.

The "Trail Tips and Town Guide" section of "Yogi's PCT Handbook" always errs
on the side of caution.  If history shows that a store's HEET supply is up
and down, then I don't count on it as a place which always has HEET.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM, John Abela <pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com