[pct-l] Alcohol Fuel resupply on the trail

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 11:11:53 CST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Jackie McDonnell <yogihikes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Towns that have supermarkets and auto resupply stores generally always have
> HEET.  It's the smaller resorts and communities which may or may not have
> HEET when you get there.  Sure, we use HEET as stove fuel, but the rest of
> the world uses HEET in gas tanks during the winter.  A C-store or resort may
> have 10 bottles on hand in July and think that's plenty - nobody is buying
> it for their cars.  Hikers start rolling through, and within a span of two
> weeks all the HEET gets sold.  I'll get an email from someone at the
> beginning of that wave stating that the store in question had plenty of
> HEET.  Two weeks later, I'll get an email from another hiker stating that
> the store doesn't carry HEET.  Two weeks after that someone emails stating
> there is plenty of HEET.

lol, yeah, when I walked into a local auto parts store and asked to order a
case of HEET I think they must have thought I was going to use it to build a
bomb or something lol What kind of wacko orders a case of HEET when it
almost never gets below freezing temps here. Got one heck of a deal on it
though. Order by the case and ask for a deal. I think I got about 18% off
for ordering a case.

Thanks Jackie for the info.

John