[pct-l] Semi-Ultralight camp/fording shoes - Finally Found What Worked for Me

Ken Marlow pcthiker at cox.net
Sat Feb 5 12:47:37 CST 2011

Haven't been on the list of a couple years so this may be old news:

I've been using Croc's Classic Clogs for awhile as camp and stream fording shoes. Tried just about everything else suggested, but like the cushion, roominess durability and protection of the Crocs. Just not too crazy about the weight (11.4 oz) for a pair that fit my men's 9 feet.

Tried some Oxypas' (Quiva) Stream when talk of 7 ounces started sounding good, and they looked lite, but the heel holes on the side are in a rigid plastic that or possibly a denser foam brought the weight up well over the Crocs. Sent them back (Shoebuy's got free return shipping, yay).

Then stumbled across this article:
http://sectionhiker.com/waldies-aruba-lightweight-camp-sandals/
for the Waldies Aruba. Minus toe protection of the clogs and no heel strap though, but here's their site:
http://www.waldies.net/Waldies_Aruba_p/84509100.htm

Apparently their best-selling shoe, but caught them near end of supply, the pickings are slim. They were mentioning they may not get more until another year.
I ordered a women's eleven that equates to a men's 9. The section hiker article weighed his in at 7.1 ounces, mine weighed at 7.5.
Section hiker article mention they run snug. They are Big Time, but this can be fixed. They're strapless, so I'm making dual use straps from some shock cord, that can attach to these temporarily for stream crossings.

On my first order with them I made the mistake of ordering a men's 11 (as quantities were low), but they were too big and pushed the weight over the crocs. As it turned out they still had a few women's 11/ men's 9 on the site.

I've got an average width foot and they are VERY snug in width (length was perfect) but this can be fixed. From the Waldies Customer Service:

These ones are easier to stretch by hand than the others, just make
sure you are wearing them when you gently tug the straps to what size
you need. If you do want to heat them up be careful since they are
thinner than the other ones! But this is the procedure;
Boil water in a big pot to 150 degrees not much hotter
Dip top of shoe in water for a 10 seconds at a time till foam warms up

WITH SOCK ON YOUR FOOT SINCE SHOE WILL BE HOT shake off water and put
on shoe flexing it as you go

Once at desired width, douse in cold water to set.

Repeat with other shoe.

I wanted mine at a width comfortable with hiking socks, hoping to mimic swelled feet at the end of the day. I doubled-up on thin inner socks and wore my usual outer socks, followed the above direction and worked just fine! And possibly a little too fine.
 Tips: Have everything ready. Socks on feet, bucket of cold water wide enough and filled enough to douse your socked and sandaled feet. Towel
You only need a pot (for the hot dip), deep and wide enough to submerse them upside-down, soaking  the straps only.
Watch your fingers and be careful not to get your sandals up against a possibly hotter pot side, and follow their instructions as far as temp and dip times (I brought the water to a simmer, then turned-off)
The only gentle tugging you may need is to get your foot in to the toes enough and the strap closer to your leg. Flexing the arch and scrunching your toes stretches them fine. Then stick your shoed foot in that cold water!
I over-did the stretch a little on one, but submerged a couple times in the hot water and 'pushed the straps along their length between hot water dousing to compress back down to the sole. This worked just fine.

Whew, was that verbose or what?! Thought these were so cool though, had to share it with you.