[pct-l] Steripens

neil p. neildpetersen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:24:10 CST 2011

I have been using a Steripen for several years now and have not had
any problems. I started out using iodine pills but got sick of them
due to the taste and switched. The Steripen is technically the most
safe water treatment I believe but you cannot remove particulate
matter so if the water is somewhat gritty you drink grit. I have not
hiked much in the desert on the pct but for the Sierras it works
great. I usually just make sure the source is relatively clean but I
have used the Steripen with water from cow troughs here in central
California with no problem. So i don't know if this really helps as I
am on the fence as well as to whether or not to bring the Steripen for
the desert or just from KM north or just switch to Aqua Mira as there
is little room for malfunction as that seems to be why many people
dislike the Steripen.
-Neil

Message: 1