[pct-l] ned asking for clarification from scott.

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 14:15:55 CDT 2011

Original statement (Scott):  "I will not allow Ned or anyone else to encourage theaverage hiker to enter terrain that even Ned and his group bailed on,
especially using postholer.com resources."

Response (Ned):  Refresh my memory, when and where did I and our students 'bail' out of any
terrain after using postholer resources?"

My read on it:  I don't think Scott was saying that Ned bailed out of terrain after using postholer resources.  My read on it was that Scott would not allow anybody to use postholer resources to encourage average hikers into dicey terrain.

Another way to say this would be "I will not allow Ned or anyone else to use postholer.com resources to encourage the average hiker to enter terrain that even Ned and his group bailed on."

It sounds like it came across to Ned as "I will not allow... especially after having used postholer.com resources."

Good rule of thumb:  re-read before sending and think about how it might come across.
Another good rule of thumb: re-read before reacting and think about how it might have been intended.

Give each other the benefit of the doubt, people.

Iron Chef