[pct-l] bad customer service experience with Froggtoggs

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Aug 15 07:41:54 CDT 2011

Good morning, All,

As someone who enjoyed a long and successful career managing the improvement
of customer support at a large corporation, already well-reputed for
excellent service, I believe the reply Nina received was inappropriate --
even grim.

In touchy-feely education there is a malapropism to the effect, “There’s no
such thing as a dumb question.”  Sorry, boys and girls, but indeed there are
lots of dumb questions; it’s just that while customers are allowed to ask
them, responsible firms must always respond politely, professionally, and as
completely as possible because we need customers more than customers need
us.

A terse, impolite answer – regardless of the theoretical correctness of its
content – says to the customer, “I don’t have time for you, and I will
devote only the bare minimum of keystrokes to this reply.”  This attitude,
believed by some to be “efficient”, is fed by writing practices in the
current trends of e-mail, texting, and Tweeting, but that doesn’t make it
right in a business atmosphere.  Such replies provide a small pyrrhic
victory at a cost of losing the customer.  To a responsible business manager
the thought of such grim replies is maddening – absolutely maddening.  That’s
why the communication from so many customer contact centers is regularly
monitored by management.

It’s said that customers remember such slights, “forever, plus 7 years”, and
indeed I have my own short, personal, excrement-list where such companies’
names are not written, but engraved.  I will never again willingly do
business with them.  Did they “win”?

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09