[pct-l] tent stakes

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Apr 9 08:51:05 CDT 2011

My tent requires a minimum of 6 stakes to set up. I started out with
6 tiny titanium stakes. They did not hold very well, especially for
the front and rear of the tent, without applying enormous rocks to
each stake. Along the trail I found a regular large aluminum hook-
shaped stake. I found that it was capable of holding the rear of the
tent so I kept it. Then later I found a Y-shaped stake and found it
did a good job holding the front. Then later I found an X-shaped
stake. So I carry 4 titanium hooks for the 4 corners, the aluminum
hook, the Y and the X for a backup. I only carry one backup stake
because it seems to be pretty easy to find stakes on hikes.