[pct-l] Advice on Gear List

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Sep 15 08:47:27 CDT 2010

I hope you realize that by shedding weight you will be cold,
uncomfortable and unsafe. (Just kidding.)
On Sep 14, 2010, at 10:01 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> ESSENTIALS & MISC. = 25.75 OUNCES
> TOTAL

Too much "essentials". Start collecting micro-sized bottles or buy
some from the Backpackinglight.com site. Either carry no shampoo at
all or carry one single serving dose of it. I am a vain woman with
hip-length hair and I shampooed my hair with pink gas station soap
and Dawn dishwashing detergent (still use Dawn at home now.) You
seriously do not need any shampoo. Same for other items. Carry only
enough to get to the next resupply. If you are wearing long sleeves/
pants/sun hat you only need a tiny amount of sunscreen. Not several
ounces. You don't need a towel, you can use a bandana. You won't need
any mosquito repellant until Kennedy Meadows, and then you can
probably get by with a very tiny amount that you apply to your hands
and hairline. Bring a mosquito net and you won't have to put any on
your face.

In other words, when it comes to potions and lotions, think very tiny.

(Suggest replacing ball cap with a bigger sun hat for California at
least.)

> Caldera Cone w/ 12-10 stove & caddy =
> 5.75
This seems heavy, but a lot of people rave about it. Can you use a
lighter stove? Get rid of the caddy?

> Alcohol fuel bottle =
> 1.0
I hope this fuel bottle is a plastic one you dug out of the
recycling. That's the lightest option.

> Evernnew Ti 0.9 litre pot w/lid =
> 5.0
Replace the lid with bendy aluminum for a big weight savings.

> Candles, lighter, matches =
> 2.0
Candles?

> Plastic cooking spoon =
> 1.0
I hope this is an eating spoon.

> Dishwashing needs =
> 3.0
No need. Just rinse and drink the rinse water.

> Metal fork & spoon =
> 1.5
Ditch the cooking spoon and the fork. You only need a spoon. I have
yet to see any backpacking food that requires a fork.

> Gerber LST knife =
> 1.25
>
> Plastic glass =
> 1.0
Ditch this. Drink from a water bottle or your pot.

> Plastic bowl =
> 1.0
Ditch this. Eat from your pot.

> MSR Hyperflow water filter =
> 10.0
Aquamira is lighter.

> 32 oz. Nalgene flexflask =
> 2.0
I think platypus are lighter. You may not need such a large one and
find that many small containers are better.

> 2 x 2-litre pop bottles for water =
> 3.0
Use 1 liter and 20oz bottles instead. THe 2 liter ones are bulky.

> Ziploc bags, various sizes =
> 1.0
Unless your food is in these, you probably do not need them. Send
ahead in a bounce box if you only need one every now and then.

> Pack rain cover =
> 1.0
This won't be needed for a very long time in your trip. Don't carry
it through California. Use a trash bag instead.

> Stuff sacks =
> 3.0
Much weight can be saved by reducing/eliminating stuff sacks.

> Blackberry = 4.0
EGADS no!!! Leave the Crackberry home! Just kidding. I know you won't
be compulsively checking work emails out there.

Enjoy your planning!
Diane