[pct-l] Are alcohol stoves banned anywhere on the PCT?

Trash at CrazyEarth.com Trash at CrazyEarth.com
Wed Sep 15 07:53:21 CDT 2010

I need help to better understand the various campfire & camp stove rules
that currently must be followed along the PCT.  I've printed & filled out an
annual "California Campfire Permit", which authorizes building a campfire on
National Forest Land and Bureau of Land Management Land (within CA, I
assume).  But I'm not sure where that permit may not apply, such as National
Parks, and I don't know if there are any seasonal fire restrictions
currently in place.

I realize the "California Campfire Permit" indicates there are "Special
Limitations", and it is my responsibility to find those out.  Unfortunately,
hiking long distances along the PCT, one passes thru many different federal
jurisdictions.  For example, if one hiked the entire Sierra Nevada range,
you'd pass thru 3 National Parks, 1 National Monument, 9 National Forests,
17 National Wilderness Areas and some Private Land.  Contacting each locally
would be very time consuming and difficult.  Checking current fire
restrictions while on the trail, could be impossible (no cell service).

I've been hiking the PCT, Southern section G, on BLM land, but plan to
travel into sections H & I before the snow hits.  I'm primarily interested
in understanding the various fire related rules, particularly those related
to alcohol stoves, that I might encounter along the length of the Sierra
Nevada (sections F-N) while hiking the PCT.

Here are my fire related questions:

1. Are there areas that "never" allow the use of alcohol camp stoves?  If
so, do any exist in the Sierra Nevada, along the PCT?  Where?  Any areas
that "never" allow camp fires?

2. In which federal areas would a "California Campfire Permit" not apply?
Does such a permit not include National Parks or National Wilderness Areas?
I know some wilderness areas require a special permit.  Which areas in the
Sierra Nevada along the PCT require such a special permit?  Do I need to
obtain separate fire permits for each area, and what is the easiest way to
do so?  Obviously, I'd want to avoid having to drive to all the local
offices.  Can this be done online, over the phone, or via FAX?

3. Is there a single phone number or web-site I access to check for current
fire restrictions within the Sierra Nevada, along the PCT?  What/where?  Or
must I contact each local office for each federal agency?

4. Is anyone aware of any current fire restrictions within the Sierra
Nevada, that'd prevent the normal usage of campfires or stoves?  If so,
where?

5. The "California Campfire Permit" indicates only stoves with gas, jellied
petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel may be used outside of developed
areas, when a fire restriction is in affect.  So, I assume my small
"pop-can" alcohol stove would not be allowed in this case?  Correct?

6. I know some high-country areas prohibit wood fires, to protect the
vegetation.  Where is that true in the Sierra Nevada, along the PCT?

7. Is there a hard rule that no fires can be built above 9000 feet?
Correct?  If so, does that also restrict using alcohol stoves?

I'm interested in answers to my specific questions.  I'm not trying to start
a "Leave No Trace" debate about campfires, nor a "Ultra-lite Backpacking"
flame about avoiding cooked food.  As an occasional treat, I like to use an
alcohol stove for hot coffee, or warm cous-cous.  Is that so wrong?  I might
never build a campfire on the PCT, and would never destroy vegetation.  But
if I happen to be camped next to a pre-made fire pit on BLM land, with a
stack of dead limbs near by, on a cold cold Fall night, I'd at least like to
understand if making a fire is an option.

Julian