[pct-l] pole maintance

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Oct 28 21:41:52 CDT 2010

Good evening, all,

I have a different view of pole section locks based upon the aggravation of
twice having lower pole sections buckle badly, then break when I attempted
to straighten them.

Over the years I’ve often had twist-locks slip a bit when I have to lean on
them heavily over rough ground.  The slippage was usually only an inch or
two, and rarely as much as 6-8 inches.  It was no big deal; I just quickly
readjusted and continued on the trail.  There was never a structural
failure.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair whose manufacturer claimed for them an
enhanced twist-lock mechanism to resist any such slipping – and resist
slipping they certainly did.  I leaned heavily on one pole on Fuller Ridge
and indeed it did not slip – instead the lower section buckled to a 45
degree angle.  The same thing happened again north of Tehachapi Pass, but
this time it was complete breakage.

I view the locks as a stress limiter; a safety valve, if you will.  I would
much sooner readjust occasionally – seldom more often than once a week –
than have the lower section suffer a catastrophic column failure
necessitating replacement of the section or possible the entire pole, or
pair of poles.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09