[pct-l] pole maintance

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Oct 28 20:56:17 CDT 2010

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:10:22 -0700
> From: <ned at mountaineducation.org>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] pole maintance
> To: "Amanda L Silvestri" <aslive at sbcglobal.net>
>
> The twist-lock poles we product-tested this spring failed miserably, where
> the cam-locks held every time we fell against them in time of need! You
> should have seen the inventive ways other hikers used to keep their
> twist-locks from compressing--even denting them because the duct tape
> slipped.

This was the only way I found to keep the twist-locked poles from
collapsing - which they always did at the most inopportune time

http://www.harborfreight.com/150-piece-hitch-clip-assortment-96243.html

either a small hole through both poles, pinning the together, or a small
hole through the lower half, with hitch pin as a stop, keeping the upper
portion from descending past it. Both were suboptimal, but "worked" -
pinning them together was somewhat stronger. (a scribed line aroiund the
bottom half at the bottom of the top half helped in reinserting the pins if
one had to collapse the poles for shipping - this is assuming pinning the
two halves together; with pins in the lower half as a stop this wasn't
necessary.)
TheDuck