[pct-l] quick question on my hiking performance

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 27 08:17:16 CDT 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 10:22 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> it could be said that I need to
> pick up a pace a bit to try to get to a 20 mpd range

If by piking up the pace you mean walking faster, you really don't
want to do that. Unless you really are lollygagging about, trying to
walk faster could lead to an injury because you will be overstriding
or pushing yourself in a way that could tear a muscle or give you a
stress fracture.

My pace actually went down on the PCT. I walked at a comfortable pace
that I could maintain all day. A few times I would be in a hurry and
would push myself to walk faster. It rarely ended up increasing my
mileage or speed.

Ray Jardine has an interesting chart in his book illustrating the
fallacy of trying to make up for slow walking up hill with faster
walking down hill. He shows that on a trail with no hills, at a
moderate pace, you can get 10 miles in in a fraction of the time
compared to if you walk slowly up the hills and then race down them.
Adding speed doesn't really work. Your context is slightly different
in that you want to add speed over the entire distance, but you may
find it hard to keep it up for the entire day, so the result would
probably be similar. Not much gain.

Also, if you are the one who was considering starting March 1, it may
be pushing the earliness a bit. There is not just snow on the trail
but dangerous, precipitous drops. People die regularly on Mt. San
Jancito and on Baden Powell. If you do start this early, be prepared
for very slow going and difficult, if not treacherous conditions. An
alternative would be to hike from the border to Highway 74 and then
do the desert walk across the Mojave to Tehachapi after that. Then
return to Highway 74 and continue on. Still be prepared for difficult
conditions because the snow lingers through May in the San Jacinto
range. In 2008 it snowed during the entire Memorial Day weekend just
when I was about to hit Baden Powell. Remember, the mountains of So
Cal do get above 10,000 feet.