[pct-l] quick question on my hiking performance

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 03:01:25 CDT 2010

On trail, your daily rhythm really raps itself around the sun.  I found
myself almost always up before dawn, and hiking as the sun rose, and
sometimes was asleep by 6 or 7 pm, when the days got shorter.  Actually
hiking 10, 12, or more hours per day excluding lunch and dinner, makes a 20
mile day very possible day after day, at a 2 mph pace, John. So I think
you'll be easily doing longer days over time.  Several hikers in their 50's
started out at 20 miles per day right off the get, and were off trail within
the week recovering from stress and overuse injuries.  So, try to know what
is really comfortable, and break yourself in slowly.  Partly, my body needed
over a month to really get used to repairing itself every night after the
long days.  The soreness of my feet was considerable at first, and I needed
to prop them up on a stuff sack at night to give them relief.  By Oregon, it
was optional, and they didn't hurt nearly as much as at first.  The body
learns.

Hummingbird, who was ulta Marathoning the trail at distances of 45 to 55
mile per day, caught us all at Callaghan's on Siskiyou Pass.  I left Campo
in mid April and she left in early June, so you can see the speed.  She was
a great gal, in her mid 20's, and I couldn't believe her body could repair
itself so well that she could keep this pace up day after day, week after
week, with almost no zero days.  And she was doing great, both physically
and emotionally.  To celebrate her first 60 mile day, (vertical climb of
aprox 7,000 ft from Saied Valley) which she had run just the day before we
met her, she took a zero in Ashland with us all, and had a ball.  I hadn't
had a zero since South Shore Tahoe, and I'll never forget an evening out
with Hummingbird.  Over the course of 3 or 4 hours we had ice cream, dinner,
more ice cream, then 2nd dinner, and finally more ice cream.  A great night
out!  After the High Sierra, her base pack weight was 6 lbs I think she told
me.  She trained by running up Mt Baden Powell, which is over 9,000 feet,
from sea level, several times a week, at an ultra marathon distance, and
then ran the deserts in June.  Wow, and she was still having fun.

As for starting dates Michael, there are more folks out there who have
started this trail many more times than I, and could answer with more real
life authority.  I think FreeBird started in late March this year, and had
some really hair raising adventures getting off the snow of the San Jacintos
in a breaking storm.  Mid April was fine for me.  It put me toward the front
of the pack, many of whom caught up to me over the summer, and many became
hiking partners as well.  We hitched back to Kick off, and I wouldn't miss
this if this is your first time long distance hiking.  It was very helpful
for me.  If you give yourself 2 to 4 weeks to aclimate to the trail, you'll
still be kicking out the mileage, and with your training, will probably be
going faster and longer than you think.  None of us first timers, even folks
who had done the AT before, realized how fast we would inevitably get, and
most resupply boxes by Northern CA, consistently had a day or two extra food
in them as we were simply making it to our resupply spots so much faster
than we had expected.  The hiker boxes were loaded with great stuff by this
time.  Expensive protein bars, packaged meats, you name it.  Several times
folks, myself included, did not get our boxes on time, and were simply able
to resupply from the hiker box or barrel and from the extra food our friends
had been sent.  I wouldn't count on it, but it saved the day numerous times.

Great starts!

Shroomer