[pct-l] quick question on my hiking performance

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:41:36 CDT 2010

This year, thirteen of us did just that Dianne.  When we got to Idyllwild in
early May, there was still a lot of snow in the San Jacinto, and search and
rescue had just come off the mtn on a rescue and asked folks to consider
tackling the deserts first as they felt it was still quite dangerous on
Fuller Ridge and Apache Peak.  We jumped forward to the Agua Dulce (thank
you Donna and Jeff for your early hospitality) and hiked to Walker pass, and
then returned to  the San Jacinto two weeks later.  It was great to do the
deserts in the cool of early May.  Many other hikers who I met later up
trail had chosen to walk the roads around these two obstacles after giving
them a try and feeling they were just too dangerous.  As May and June were
so unseasonably cold this year on the entire West Coast, there was very
little melt off during our 2 weeks away, and although we were able to make
it over Apache and Fuller, it was ice axes and crampons, and lots of time
hunting for trail, and I should mention, lots of fun as well.  In hindsight,
the icy conditions and precipitous drops on those two ridges, (here is where
Cliff Hanger got her name if I'm not mistaken, and it's a great story) were
much more dangerous than the 4 weeks of passes in the High Sierra, where the
snow was a lot more forgiving when we came through.  The rivers were the
great danger in the Sierra.

I totally agree with you that no one should speed down trails unless that is
what they've trained to do.  Trying to push beyond ones limits is the surest
way to injury, and was a common thread in most of the overuse injuries I
heard of or helped with.  Finding a pace that is really yours and that
allows you to use those long summer days, is the way to go.  Even if it
sounds slower than you think it aught to, over the many hours of a day, day
after day, the miles just add up.

Shroomer

n Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:17 AM, Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <