[pct-l] 80 lbs

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 18 21:45:50 CDT 2010

No doubt Ned is a wonderful human being and I'd love to take one of his snow courses one of
these days. When he, or anybody else, engages in a convesation (or numerous conversations)
regarding gear and pack weight - as Ned does regularly - his own practices and thresholds come
into consideration.  His backpack is huge and extremely heavy.  In all of his posts that I've read,
I cannot recall reading that he carries 80lb or 90lb packs.  To say that this is an extremely heavy
pack would not be an overstatement, and asking him about his preferences does strike me as
snide or unreasonable, respectfully.

Congrats and thanksgiving for Ned's skills, which possibly saved your friends life, and no offense
intended at all, but I honestly don't see a connection between a 90lb pack and the ability to dress
a wound and call for help.

Obviously Ned isn't comfortable discussing his pack weight.  Too bad.  Maybe there is something there
for me to learn from?  Dunno.  The majority here appear to be ULers, but both sides have something to
teach.

Best regards to your friend and a speedy recovery.