[pct-l] 80 lbs

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Oct 18 21:47:09 CDT 2010

  Yes,
That is the big difference between "UL &  Heavy Truckers".
UL is nice as long as the going is good, but when the wheels come off
and you need a wrench the "Heavy Trucker" pulls out the wrench and takes
care of the problem.
The "UL" on the other hand, who does not have a wrench, is stuck in the
mud.
Hardcore old timers like Ned understand that and don't mind the extra
weight to be prepared.
It is not a problem if you are in good shape.

Yes quit picking on Ned and HYOH.
UL is not the only way...maybe your way...but not the only way.
There is no absolute correct way .
Whatever works for you is the correct way for you but not necessarily
the way for everybody.
The pack weight is usually contingent upon the type of hike, the hikers
comfort level and the hikers condition.
I hike on both sides of the fence (UL on my speed hikes, Heavy Trucker
with the scouts or my wife) and understand both sides of the argument
and respect both ways.
There is nothing wrong with the Heavy Trucker just like there is nothing
wrong with the Ultralighter.

JMT Reinhold
The UL Heavy Trucker