[pct-l] Emergency Devices

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 13:18:00 CST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Paul Robison wrote:

> in this case,
>
> a call is placed to the SPOT call center with your GPS coordinates, from there a human determines who to call,  police, SAR, coast guard, etc.  and will get to the right agency to help you.

I was asking about sat phones, though.  I understand how PLBs and SPOT work, but they are designed from the ground up to be tied into the search and rescue infrastructure. A sat phone is a more general device though and I was wondering how it would work in an emergency situation (i.e. what are appropriate expectations and what preparations should occur beforehand to ensure it was useful in an emergency in the backcountry).

Radar