[pct-l] Emergency Devices

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 13:12:05 CST 2010

in this case,

a call is placed to the SPOT call center with your GPS coordinates, from there a
human determines who to call,  police, SAR, coast guard, etc.  and will get to
the right agency to help you.
if your GPS coordinates cannot be acquired  (you're in a dense forest perhaps),
the satelite call is still placed and a human at SPOT will go through your
history and try and find your heading and approx. location.
a call center employee calls yoru family to apprise them of the situation as
well as determine any more itinerary info, as well as descriptions.

to be clear the SPOT calls use the EXACT SAME satelites as SAR and PLB
satelites.  only difference is they are not given priority above SAR or PLB in
the event all lines are busy.  this comes essentially as a TXT message and uses
virtually no bandwidth.

~Paul