[pct-l] Gear for late spring snow?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Nov 12 09:37:44 CST 2010

Good morning, all,

I’ve never used the Katoolas, but I’ve encountered many hikers who
have, and all
those users enthusiastically endorse the MicroSpikes.  I don’t know if
they’ve used anything else as a frame of reference.

I prefer to use CMI instep crampons.  They have longer spikes than the
Katoolas but weigh about the same.  I don’t believe regular, full-platform,
10-12 point crampons are necessary or advisable.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

I don’t believe an ice axe is a must.  Thousands of hikers have successfully
thru or section-hiked the PCT without an ice axe and I believe that will
continue.  I generally believe that without having practiced arrest methods
an ice axe is less valuable to carry, however I also don’t believe that an
“untrained” hiker is doomed or should avoid the PCT.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264671

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09