[pct-l] Gear for late spring snow?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 10 15:53:10 CST 2010

I'm not sure, yet, what this thread is all about, but I'd like to add a bit.
I am in the middle of weeding through 26,000 emails received while not
checking my account during a Search and Rescue training weekend this last
Saturday and Sunday. Many of the individual emails are multiplied hundreds
of times and corked up my mail something terrible. Took most of Monday to
upload them. Now to go through it all....

Ok, as many have already said, it isn't the gear that will keep you alive
out on the early-summer snow, but what you know and how you execute it.
Durable gear and clothing certainly helps when you're miles or days from any
trailhead, but just being aware that you will need to include it, like
traction devices or ice axes, once on the high and steep pitches of the
Sierra Passes is a major start to your hiking safety.

Everything safety starts with your feet. Your balance is crucial on snow.
What you wear contributes to that predictability and certainty. You only
want to slip and slide when you want to and when you're ready for it,
otherwise you're in for a potentially wild, quick tumble down the slope (ask
Calorie!). So figure out before your big thru hike what kind of footwear
works for you to maintain your balance and comfort while on snow and
crossing creeks. Boots work for us and we're out in the snow all winter
teaching Snow Skills Courses (they don't get wet, keep our feet warm, and
only freeze slightly if the temps drop to single digits).

Traction devices, Yes, like Katoolas, just know how to identify the danger
ahead, stop and put them on (and grab the axe), before assuming that you
"will be ok" and just push on without them in place. You may not need them
at all, but safe is better than sorry (again, Calorie, are you out there?
Would you mind telling your story?).

The ice axe is a must, but you've got to have practiced with it to know how
it works and what you have to do with your body to get its full benefit for
self-arrest deployment. Glissades are much safer with an axe as a rudder!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd