[pct-l] North Cascades Reroute

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Mar 28 18:06:44 CDT 2010

On Mar 27, 2010, at 1:44 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> The PCT has not been thoroughly maintained for
> several years due to lack of access.
I was one of the NOBOs last year who stayed on the original PCT route
through Glacier Peak Wilderness. The PCT has not been maintained, but
in my opinion, that does not mean you cannot easily walk through it.
The new bridges are beautiful. The trail is in good shape. There is a
stretch as you descend (nortbound) toward Milk Creek that they were
working on last summer that was a little dicey. Then there is another
descent toward Gamma Creek and Suiattle River that's a giant game of
pick-up-sticks. It was actually really fun to walk over and under and
along the biggest logs I had ever seen. Then the Suiattle river was
actually not as big a deal as I worried about. I'm the biggest creek
crossing weenie there ever was. I'm a 45 year old woman, not a young,
invincible man. I knew for sure I would fall in and die if I had to
scoot across like I had seen in pictures. Instead I walked upright
across. It was the best day on the trail for me to get that final,
scary obstacle done. I know nobody who is unsure what they will do is
going to listen to me. I didn't listen to any of the southbounders I
met who told me stay on the main PCT. I was still waffling until the
very last second at the point of no return. I'm glad I stayed on the
main PCT. If I can do it, you probably can, too.

Diane/Piper

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic