[pct-l] maps/thru-wallets

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 10:48:33 CDT 2010

Hey Scott,

Let's keep in mind that a good majority of folks that attend the KO our not current year thru-hikers.  Many folks in attendence are folks that are considering a future thru-hike and this is one of the few places where hikers can see and touch these cottage industry products for the first time.

Prior to my thru-hike in 2006, I often wondered if these cottage-industry products were right for me.  In 2003 and 2004 I read quite a bit about this ULA P2 pack, however, there was no friggen way I would have bought one site unseen.  So, I ended up heading out on the PCT in NorCal and "stalking" Greesepot and Garlic Man" as I had read in their journals that they really liked these packs.  They were kind enough to let me have a look and evaluate their packs so that I could get a better feeling if it was the right solution for me.  I think this is one of the real benefits of ADZ for future hikers.

Now, with that said, I can't address your concerns that the ADZ organizers pick and choose which cottage-industry vendors are allowed to show their gear.  I am not familiar with the policy.  I for one, would never show up to the ADZ during my thru-hike with the expectation to buy gear for that year as I personally feel it is important to trial out all your gear well in advance of starting the trail.

Just my opinion,

Elevator