[pct-l] Rattlesnake Bites / MODERN Emergency Room Doc viewpoint

Don Billings dbillings803 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 12:06:29 CDT 2010

Jim,

What you stated appears to be mostly up to date.

There is an ER medical doc in Southern California whose specialty is snake bites. He produced a paper for the medical community which I read
and found to be useful to lay people. About 1/3 of it was too technical, but 2/3 of it was pretty darn clear. They also did a TV special
on the guy because his own son was bitten by a snake (probably due to following his father's interest in snakes).

Essentially, the doc stated several things that I'll post here.

He stated that the "cut & suck" method of years back has been found nearly worthless and that there is no real field treatment. The
treatment for snake bite today is MED-I-VAC to the nearest medical facility. The victim is not supposed to walk if possible, but
transported by whatever means available. Most bites (roughly half) are "dry bites" where the snake penetrates the victim with its fangs but does not
inject venom... this is a puncture wound that still requires medical treatment.

In the old days, they used to ask that victims kill the snake and bring it in for ID in order to determine the proper anti-venom medicine. That is no
longer the case. The modern snake anti-venom vaccine has been formulated to work on the most common bite venoms. i.e. combo effectiveness.

THE MOST INTERESTING ASPECT OF HIS INTERVIEW: most people think that the anti-venom stops the damage to the victim. It does not.
Repeat: anti-venom does not stop the venom damage. It stops fatalities. The damage to the human body often results in loss of use of the
affected part (fingers, hand, toes, feet) for months. Sometimes, amputation is required. So snake bites are still a very, very serious injury
even though, as you said, they are somewhat rare so long as the hiker keeps his feet and hands out of areas that might hide snakes. i.e. rocks,
wood piles, etc. So, although modern anti-venom medicine has reduced fatalities in the USA to about 1% or less each year, the physical
damage to victims can be major, irreversible, and permanent.

Hope this helps. If you would like a link to the doc's paper, I can try to find it for you. I found it after realizing that I had not idea of how to
respond to a snake bite emergency for myself or others... and I began to research via google. I had asked some fellow hikers what they
would do in the event of a bite and they had no clue, either, after we had just passed a very beefy, 4 foot rattler. FYI: there is a brand of
snake gators on the market and their website shows a demo with live snakes biting the wearer as he taunts them. Maybe 85% of the strikes,
as you can see in the video, are between the kneed and the ankle. Some were on the top of the foot itself.

Don