[pct-l] Rattlesnake Bites

Jim Banks jbanks4 at socal.rr.com
Tue Mar 23 19:46:26 CDT 2010

I was an Emergency Medical Technician while working with the U.S. Forest
Service for 10 years back in the 1970's and early 1980's.  In all that time,
plus over 40 years of backpacking, I have never seen a snake bite.  They are
very rare.  Most cases occur when someone is messing around with the snake.

The latest Wilderness Medicine Institute's backcountry first aid book says:

1.        Get away from the snake.

2.       Try to remain as calm as possible to keep your heart rate down.

3.       Remove anything that might restrict circulation (rings, tight
belts, etc.)

4.       Gently wash the bite sight

5.       Keep the bite site on a level with the person's heart (obviously
this is not going to work if they were bitten on the leg and they have to
walk out)

6.       Get the person to a doctor.  Carry them if you can, but if not help
them walk slowly

7.       Give acetaminophen for pain, but do NOT give any kind of
nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin

8.       Do NOT use cold packs, tourniquets, cutting, or sucking.

I-Beam