[pct-l] Sierra Snow Report....good news & bad news

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 17:54:12 CDT 2010

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: Say Switchback, this "Alzheimer's" is brutal when it strikes. Sometimes it's so bad, I find myself wondering.....am I on the JMT or the PCT?.....or am I on the CDT? Let's see now.....am I supposed to be going North or South? Am I lost?.....NEVER.....I'm NEVER lost......not JMT Reinhold. I KNOW WHERE I AM.........I am somewhere on the North American Continent. I just don't know exactly where.....BUT I AM NEVER LOST.....not JMT Reinhold.
But serious guys....kidding aside....this is an above average snow fall year for the Sierra at Mammoth. The snow fall at Mammoth over the last 20 years has averaged 342" a season. Mammoth has already accumulated 434" year to date and based on the 20 year average it should get another 60" during the remainder of March , April and May. That will give Mammoth approximately 500" this season.....way above average So do like "Ground Pounder" says....."BE PREPARED"......and listen to "Ned".
Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: I may not know where I am, but I am on time.

Say, what is with all this snow talk and fear. It is no big deal. Back in the day when Unsupported and I started hiking in the Sierras, the last Ice Age glaciers were retreating. The Palisades Glacier was gigantic. Today it is the largest glacier left in the Sierras. And now with global cooling I can see the glaciers all advancing again to wipe out everyone. I bet they name one of the new monster glaciers the Unsupported Reinhold Glacier. Another one will be named the Switchback Glacier. Mine will be bigger.

Yes, all this talk about snow is sad -- oh, pooh hooh, hooh. Back in our day, 100 foot snow drifts across the PCT was common place. We just plowed through and still made our campsite on time. The Eskimos would often send us letters asking for snow survival tips. Like I said, this whole thing is no big deal for real mountain men and mountain women.