[pct-l] Hunting

Swope Christopher sswwooppee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 18:48:24 CST 2010

Let me preface what I say with, I'm an incorrigible bird hunter. The
last 5 years, I've saved 100% of my PTO from work so that I can follow
my dog through the woods or fields. I've told all friends and family
that they aren't allowed to get married, have a baby, die, graduate or
have any significant event that I'm obligated to attend in the Fall.

My advice (after doing a lot of research) is to not do it.

Many people here will give you reasons not to do it because of the
weight of the gun. I don't think that's valid, personally. If you can
carry it and feel fine about it. The weight doesn't matter.

What does matter is hunting seasons. Hunting is no longer hunting when
you have to break the law to do it. It's poaching. Poaching is
stealing from everybody else and unless you're starving, it's
unethical (and even then there's better alternatives).

Another thing to consider, even if there is some creature that is
legal to hunt in the spring/summer/early fall along the trail, is how
it will effect others. I think that the "Leave No Trace" concept
should be considered here. Consider what the PCT would be like if
everyone who walked it shot 1 critter while they were on it hiking.
There would be many fewer critters. I don't want to deny the person
behind me the chance to see the rabbit or whatever is that I might
shoot. This trail wasn't created for us hunters. It's created for
hikers and riders. It appears to me that the vast majority of hikers
don't want to share the trail with hunters. I can respect that. Not
every wild place needs to be a playground for hunters.

The way I see it, not hunting while on the PCT is motivation for me to
finish on time. That way I'll have most of the bird season back in MN
with my dog.

Swope