[pct-l] Unfit to be a father

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 18:49:50 CST 2010

I just want to thank all for their two cents.  I would also like to report that I received in a ratio of nearly 10:1, personal emails that were incredibly supportive over the self-righteous indignation filled vitriol from those "who know what they're talking about."  If we have to change plans, we change plans.  We do, actually, have plans and back-up plans.  It's what you do when you're a parent or a thru-hiker.  I appreciate all advise, but please know that I am a very experienced hiker.  Being that nobody's really done this before, I'm kind of failing to realize where all the negativity comes from.  We're not going to be rebels without a cause, hell-bent for the border, without regard for our child's health and well-being.  Nowhere in any of the negative comments, did I hear support for wanting to spend that much intensive and personal time with our child.  Again, the ratio was 10:1.  It was also brought to my attention that some of the advise came from a trail angel (bless her heart), who hasn't really hiked the PCT before, so...yeah.  If we make it a third of the way, great.  If we mix it up, and do an alternate route, great.  I am the luckiest man in the world.  I get to at least attempt to spend five solid months with my amazing wife and child in some of the most beautiful land in the world.  I don't mind advise, but rest assured that we'll have our bases covered more than anyone out there.  We. Will. Be. Prepared.  Please do not waste your time writing me negative emails about how horrible a father I am.  With that said, I love this forum, and the liberty it gives us all to express our opinions.  I do look forward to any helpful tidbits of info out there, but if it's not trail advise, don't say it.  As one guy said, I need a "reality check."  Ok.  Look forward to seeing you all on the PFT (Pacific Fantasy Trail).

Cheers, and all the best (genuinely),

David and Rachel Liechty